Notification to Our Stockholders (Students Agents,Staff and other interested parties)





Australia is recognised as a great place to live – but did you know Australia also offers a world class education?
The Australian education system has produced scientists, designers, educators, entrepreneurs, artists and humanitarians who have changed the world, winning awards from Oscars to Nobel prizes.

Did you know Australia has the third highest number of international students in the world behind only the United Kingdom and the United States despite having a population of only 23 million? This isn’t surprising when you consider Australia has seven of the top 100 universities in the world!
In fact, with over 22,000 courses across 1,100 institutions, Australia sits above the likes of Germany, the Netherlands and Japan, ranking eighth in the Universities 2012 U21 Ranking of National Higher Education Systems.

These are strong academic credentials, but our institutions are just as highly rated as the cities that house them around the country. Australia has five of the 30 best cities in the world for students based on student mix, affordability, quality of life, and employer activity – all important elements for students when choosing the best study destination. And with more than A$200 million provided by the Australian Government each year in international scholarships, we are making it easier for you to come and experience the difference an Australian education can make to your future career opportunities.

Do you have a specific study area of interest? There is every chance Australia has you covered, with at least one Australian university in the top 50 worldwide across the study areas of Natural Sciences & Mathematics, Life & Agricultural Sciences, Clinical Medicine & Pharmacy, and Physics.

Given this impressive education pedigree, it’s not surprising there are now more than 2.5 million former international students who have gone on to make a difference after studying in Australia. Some of these students are among the world’s finest minds. In fact, Australia has produced 15 Nobel prize laureates and every day over 1 billion people around the world rely on Australian discoveries and innovations – including penicillin, IVF, ultrasound, Wi-Fi, the Bionic Ear, cervical cancer vaccine and Black Box Flight Recorders – to make their lives, and the lives of others, better.


Why wouldn’t you want to study with some of the best minds in the world?


To study in Australia, you’ll need to apply for both the admission at Queen Anne English College – Queen Anne Business College and also for a student visa from the Australian Government.

There are a number of steps you must go through including:

  • Deciding on your preferred course.
  • Submitting your application to Queen Anne English College – Queen Anne Business College.
  • Receiving and accepting a Letter of Offer.
  • Payment of the first instalment as per Letter of Offer
  • Receiving your electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE).
  • Applying for your student visa.

There is a range of entry requirements that you will need to meet both for Queen Anne English College – Queen Anne Business College and your visa application. This can include:

  • Academic requirements.
  • English language requirements.
  • Evidence of funds to support your study.
  • Overseas student health cover.

If you’re already living or working in Australia, you may still be able to apply to study here as an international student.

Appointed Education Agents

Education agents in your home country can also help you with applying to study in Australia. You can check the list of our registered agents near you on our website.

Application process

Once you’ve decided on a course, it’s time to apply for admission.

The first step is to apply for the course you want. There are two ways to apply:

  1. Direct to Queen Anne English College – Queen Anne Business College

To apply directly, download the application form by clicking here and send it by email or post as per the details on the application form.

  1. Through an Australian education agent

Queen Anne English College – Queen Anne Business College partners with a number of agents.
You can find the list of our agents by clicking here.

You will need to prepare supporting documentation to send with your application. The documents vary depending on the course and qualification you’re applying for. The most important documents include:

  • Certificates that verify your previous study, including qualifications you already have.*
  • Evidence of your English language proficiency.
  • Certificates or documents which verify previous study or work experience if you are seeking course credits.*
    *These must be translated into English.


Receiving your Letter of Offer

If your application is successful, you will receive a ‘Letter of Offer’.
To confirm your offer, you must respond to this letter by signing and sending an acceptance of offer back to Queen Anne English College – Queen Anne Business College. This can usually be done by scanning and emailing the signed letter.
The Letter of Offer is a contract between you and Queen Anne English College – Queen Anne Business College. It sets out the course you will be enrolled in, enrolment conditions, the fees you need to pay, and the refund payable if you don’t complete your course with QAEC/QABC. This contract is very important – if you don’t start your course, or finish your course, this written agreement will be used to determine if you will receive a refund.


  • Read the Letter of Offer carefully before you accept it.
  • Make sure that you understand all your rights, including the refund arrangements.
  • Do not accept the Letter of Offer if you are not happy with any of its terms.
  • Keep a copy of the Letter of Offer. You will need this copy so that you are aware of your rights.


Confirmation of Enrolment

After you have accepted your Offer and paid your deposit, you will receive an ‘Electronic Confirmation of Enrolment’ (eCoE) by email. This will outline your course start date, total course fees and for how long your course will run.

Visa application

If you are applying for your Student Visa through the Department of Immigration and Border Protection’s online lodgement facility, you will need the details of your electronic Confirmation of Enrolment to lodge your visa application. If you are lodging a paper visa application, you must provide the electronic Confirmation of Enrolment prior to the visa being granted.

Generally, secondary school exchange students and students sponsored by either Foreign Affairs or the Department of Defence are the only students who will not require a confirmation of enrolment certificate.

You should make sure that you meet requirements for a student visa before you accept an offer and pay any tuition fees.

Entry requirements

To begin studying in Australia, there are a range of entry requirements you may have to meet.

English language requirements

In some cases, you may need to provide results of an English language test. Be aware that the English language skill level required by Queen Anne English College – Queen Anne Business College can be different from the level of skill required for your student visa application. You should carefully check student visa information on both the Department of Home Affairs website and Queen Anne English College – Queen Anne Business College course information for more information about English language requirements for each course.


Academic requirements

The academic requirements (including evidence of English language skills) you need to study in Australia will vary depending on the level of education you want to study.

  • Vocational education and training– In most cases there are no entrance exams for VET institutions. However, some courses may have specific pre-requisite subjects or work experience requirements.please refer to course information on our website to check for Academic requirement

There are no formal entry requirements; however, students must be over 18 years of age and students with no formal qualification must sit for skills test. Students must have an English proficiency of IELTS level 5.5 (test results must be no more than 2 years old) or TOEFL iBT score of 46 [ or equivalent, as recognised by Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP).


International Students may not be required to provide evidence of English Language competence where documented evidence can be provided to demonstrate any of the following:

  • The student was educated for 5 years in an English speaking country.
  • The student holds a passport from UK, USA, Canada, NZ or Republic of Ireland
  • The student has completed at least 6 months of a Certificate IV level course in an Australian RTO.
  • The student has successfully completed a foundation course in Australia
  • The student has successfully completed the College English Placement Test.
  • The student has successfully completed English for General Purposes course – intermediate level in an Australian RTO.
  • The student has successfully completed their High School in English Language.

In some instances, in order to confirm the suitability of your enrolment into the course, you may be required to participate in an interview with our Academic Manager who will determine the suitability of your enrolment into the course. This interview will occur via an online meeting.


Visa requirements

The student visa you need depends on your chosen course of study. As a guide, the typical key requirements you will need to meet are:

  • Issued an electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE) certificate.
  • Meet the Genuine Temporary Entrant requirement. Read more about this on the Department of Home Affairs
  • Sufficient funds for airfares, course fees and living costs.
  • English language proficiency.
  • Meet health and character requirements.
  • Acceptable Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC).

The Department of Home Affairs website provides detailed information on student visas. It also has a Visa Wizard to help you identify which visa you might be eligible for.


Overseas Student Health Cover

Australia has a special system of health cover for international students called Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC). It will help you pay for medical or hospital care you may need while you’re studying in Australia; it will also contribute towards the cost of most prescription medicines and an ambulance in an emergency. When studying in Australia, you will need OSHC for yourself, and any family travelling with you before you arrive. It is a requirement of your student visa that you maintain OSHC for the duration of your time on a student visa in Australia.

Education agents


Once you’ve made the decision to study in Australia and you know which course you want to undertake, you can enrol directly with Queen Anne English College – Queen Anne Business College. If, however, you need more help with the admission application process or the Australia visa application process, you can contact our agents near you.

An education agent can tell you about your options for studying and living in Australia and assist with your visa and institution applications. In many cases, agents have had experience studying in Australia and can share their experiences with you. In addition, because they are dealing every day with application and visa application requirements, they will be able to give you guidance on your particular situation.

If you need migration advice use a migration agent who is registered in Australia. Some Registered Migration Agents are located overseas or have representatives in international markets. If an education agent is based in Australia, it is against the law for them to provide you with migration advice, unless they are also a Registered Migration Agent. Further information on Registered Migration Agents can be found at


Live in Australia


Living in Australia will be a new experience! Queen Anne English College – Queen Anne Business College provides several support services to help make adjusting to life in Australia easier.

As Australia is the fourth happiest country in the world (Prosperity Index, 2012) and have five of the 30 best cities in the world for students (Top University Rankings, 2012), you are sure to enjoy your time here.

No matter what type of study you are doing in Australia, whether you are here for a few months or a few years, some research and planning will help you have a safe and rewarding study experience. Important considerations and planning includes:

  • Planning your departure.
  • Arriving in Australia.
  • Accessing support services.
  • Remaining visa compliant.
  • Working while you study.
  • Living costs and finding accommodation.
  • Health and safety.


Plan your departure


Once you have been accepted to study at Queen Anne English College – Queen Anne Business College and have received confirmation of your student visa, the next step is to start planning for your arrival.

Here is a checklist to help you plan your departure:

  • Passport and Visa– Check that your passport is valid for at least 6 months prior to your entry arrival in Australia, and that you have all your visa documentation. It is also a good idea to make copies of your passport in case you lose your passport.
  • Student enrolment and orientation documents– You will need your electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE) and student information pack, which you will have received from Queen Anne English College – Queen Anne Business College.
  • Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)– This is a requirement for entry to Australia, so make sure you have your health cover policy arranged before you leave home.
  • Travel Insurance– You should also consider travel insurance, which covers things your OSHC may not – such as cancelled flights, lost documents, dental or optical care, etc.
  • Airfares– Make sure you are aware of the date and time of your flight. Keep your flight details in a safe and secure place, with your passport and visa.
  • Contact details– You may want to have a list of emergency contact details for family, as well as your embassy, accommodation and institution details. If you have used an education agent, keep their contact details on you, in case you need to contact them once you arrive in Australia.
  • Australian currency– There are money exchange places available at Australian airports and in cities, but it is recommended to have some Australian currency on you prior to leaving your home country.
  • Transport from the airport– Whether you are taking public transport, a taxi, or you are being picked up from the airport by your education provider, it is important that you have all the details including the time, the route and if your travel has been arranged by your institution, their contact details. If you need a map to assist you in getting to your accommodation from the airport, they will be available at the airport, or you can print one prior to leaving.
  • Accommodation details– Make sure you have the address of where you will be staying as well as their phone number and payment confirmation (if you have already paid for your accommodation).


Customs and Border Protection

You need to be aware of what you cannot bring into Australia and therefore what you should not pack. It is illegal to carry drugs including marijuana, cannabis, heroin, cocaine and amphetamines in and out of Australia. There are a number of items that you must declare upon your arrival in Australia including:

  • Firearms, weapons and ammunition.
  • Currency amounts of A$10,000 (or foreign equivalent).
  • Some medicines.

You should also be aware that as a routine part of their work, Customs and Border Protection officers may question travellers at any time, and trained dogs may also be used to detect illegal drugs or prohibited imports. If you are in doubt, declare your goods or ask a Customs and Border Protection officer for advice. Declaring goods does not necessarily mean your baggage will be examined.

People who deliberately break Australian Customs and Border Protection regulations could be fined or taken to court. You can also find information at the Australian Customs and Border Protection Service website.


Arriving in Australia


When you arrive at an Australian airport, you will first need to go through immigration and customs clearance. If you need help finding your way around, just ask the airline staff or one of the border officials in the arrivals area. A clearance officer will check your travel document and visa, and once cleared you will be able to collect your luggage to go through customs and quarantine clearance processes.

More information on what to expect when you arrive at the airport is available on the Department of Home Affairs website.


Getting to your new home

You should arrange accommodation before you arrive in Australia; even it is just for the first few days. Have your accommodation address written in English ready to show the taxi or hire car, or detailed directions if you are using public transport.

Orientation Week

Queen Anne English College – Queen Anne Business College is committed to ensuring that you get all the support you need to adjust to life and study in Australia and to be successful in your studies. You will learn about our college, take tours of facilities, and meet people who will also be studying at our college.

It is important that you attend to learn what kind of assistance and help Queen Anne English College – Queen Anne Business College can offer.

For more information, you can always contact our reception or student support.

Seeking help

Remember! if you have any problems or questions once you leave the airport, you can always call Queen Anne English College – Queen Anne Business College support staff. These details will be in your enrolment and orientation information.


Once you have confirmed where you will be studying, you can look for accommodation that suits your needs and budget. Some tips when searching for accommodation include:

  • The costs will vary depending on your chosen state, city, and type of accommodation.
  • Always confirm the total cost and any other expenses you may be required to pay, such as a bond and utility fees.
  • Consider how far it is from the college and whether it is easily accessible by public transport, such as bus or train.
  • Find out what shopping centres, hospitals and emergency service facilities, and other amenities are nearby.

Short-term accommodation

Short-term accommodation options you might want to consider when you first arrive in Australia include:

  • Hostels and discounted rates on hotels.
  • Temporary housing which may be offered through your institution while you get settled. Talk to your institution’s international support staff or check their website for details.


You can rent or ‘lease’ a property by yourself or with friends. This can be done through a real estate agent or privately. When renting a property, you will need to pay a security deposit or ‘bond’ (which is usually four weeks rent), as well as rent in advance (also usually four weeks). The bond is held to repair any damage that you, your house mates or house guests cause to the property while renting. Some, or all, of this amount may be refunded to you once your tenancy agreement has terminated.

For more information on your rights and obligations when renting in Australia you should visit the relevant government Fair Trading agency in your state/territory.


With homestay, you will live with a family in their home. Homestay can be a good option for younger students as you will have all the comforts of an established home, often with meals and cleaning included. Families offering homestay accommodation to international students are thoroughly screened to ensure they can provide a suitable living environment for students.

Legal protection

You have certain responsibilities to meet when it comes to paying accommodation expenses on time, cleaning and maintenance. You also have the right by law to feel secure in your property, maintained with working facilities. If there are any problems with your accommodation, talk to your agent or landlord (if renting), your international student support staff for on-campus living or the service where you found your homestay.

There are also organisations such as tenants unions and consumer advocates that can provide assistance. To find out more visit the relevant government Fair Trading agency in your state/territory.


Support services for students


There are many consumer protection and support services available for international students. This includes services provided directly by institutions as well as those provided by a range of state, territory and federal government departments.

Consumer Protection

Australian has a strong consumer protection framework to protect the rights of Australian consumers, including international students in Australia. The Australian Consumer Law includes a national law guaranteeing consumer rights when buying goods and services. You should contact the relevant government trade and consumer agency in your state or territory if you:

  • Would like information about your consumer rights.
  • Have a problem with a consumer good or service that you have bought or are considering buying.
  • Would like to know how a business should behave under the law.
  • Would like to make a complaint about a business.

Visit Consumer Protection or  or to find the relevant government agency for where you are living and studying.


Overseas Students Ombudsman

The Overseas Students Ombudsman (OSO) investigates complaints about problems that overseas students have with private education and training institutions in Australia. The Ombudsman’s services are free, independent and impartial. You can find out more about this service on their website:
A number of OSO publications, including newsletters, can be found on the OSO website

If you are studying at a public institution, such as TAFE colleges and many universities and schools, you should contact the Ombudsman in the state or territory in which you are studying to lodge a complaint. You can find details of what the Ombudsman can investigate on their website. Below is a list of the Ombudsman websites for all states and territories in Australia:

  • Australian Capital Territory Ombudsman–
  • New South Wales Ombudsman–
  • Northern Territory Ombudsman–
  • Queensland Ombudsman–
  • South Australian Ombudsman–
  • Tasmanian Ombudsman–
  • Victorian Ombudsman–
  • Western Australian Ombudsman–


Tuition Protection Service

The Tuition Protection Service (TPS) is an initiative of the Australian Government to assist you if your institution (referred to as ‘Education Provider’ under the TPS) is unable to fully deliver your course of study. The TPS may also assist you if you have withdrawn from, or not started, your course and are eligible for a refund of tuition fees and the institution has not paid them.

The TPS will ensure that you are able to either:

  • Complete your studies in another course or with another institution, or
  • Receive a refund of your unspent tuition fees.

Under the Tuition Protection Service, international students have a number of rights and obligations. For more information, visit the Tuition Protection Service website.


Support services

Queen Anne English College – Queen Anne Business College provides all the necessary help and support to our students. This includes student services such as:

  • Academic support and counselling
  • English language support
  • Student Skills support
  • Welfare counselling
  • Grievances procedures
  • Further studies assistance
  • Designated international student advisers
  • On-arrival reception and orientation programs
  • Childcare, health and counseling
  • Student accommodation
  • Prayer and worships rooms
  • Banking, shopping and food outlets
  • Clubs, societies, sport and fitness facilities

Student associations

Australia has a number of student associations representing and assisting students from Australian institutions. National associations include:


Other support services

Some other support services that may be useful to know while you are studying in Australia are:

Queen Anne English College – Queen Anne Business College

Sydney CBD Campus

  • Contact details – 0289370969

Bankstown Campus

  • Contact details – (02) 97074840 | (02) 97933744

Emergency matters

  • Contact details– 000
  • Service details– Life threatening situations, such as a car crash or a fire.


Local police – non urgent matters

  • Contact details– Call 131 444 (everywhere except Victoria). In Victoria you need to call your local police station (consult your local Telephone Directory)
  • Service details– Police attendance for non-urgent matters.



  • Contact details– 13 11 14
  • Service details– Lifeline provides crisis support, suicide prevention and mental health support services across Australia. These can include stresses from work, family or society and physical and mental wellbeing. Lifeline offers support services by phone or through their online chat available on their website.


Kids Helpline

  • Contact details– 1800 551 800
  • Service details– If you’re between 5 and 25 and you’re feeling depressed, worried, sad, angry or confused about things like your studies personal relationships, Kids Helpline offers free 24 hour, 7 day telephone counseling support (anonymous if you prefer).


Poison Information Centre

  • Contact details– 131 126
  • Service details– Provides advice on the management, assessment and treatment of poisonous products including non-prescription pharmaceuticals, household and industrial chemicals, and plant and animal venom.


Sexual Assault counseling service

  • Contact details– Search online for ‘rape crisis centre’ in your home state
  • Service details– If you, or anyone you know, has experienced or is at risk of sexual assault, call one of the state-based sexual assault counseling services. These provide a free 24 hour, 7 days a week telephone counseling service (anonymous if you prefer). Many are connected to hospitals or government health departments to help you if the assault has left you with injuries.


Visa compliance


Once you have received your visa, there are requirements you must meet in order for it to remain valid, including;

  • You must remain enrolled and maintain satisfactory course progress and attendance.
  • If you wish to change your qualification level, you will need to apply for a new student visa.
  • Provide your Australian address to Queen Anne English College – Queen Anne Business College, so we can contact you, and let us know if you change address within 7 working days.
  • You must continue to be able to support yourself financially while you’re in Australia.
  • Do not breach the working conditions applicable to your visa.


Visa help and assistance

  • The Department of Home Affairs website provides all information in relation to visa requirements, responsibilities and compliance.
  • Queen Anne English College – Queen Anne Business international student support staff can provide you with assistance with the visa you’ll need for your course.
  • Education agents can also help with your visa application and paperwork as well as your course application.


Work while you study


Working while you study in Australia can help complement your study and living experience. There are a number of reasons you might want to undertake part time work while studying in Australia, including assisting with living expenses and gaining work experience in your study area.

Most student visas allow you to work for up to 40 hours every two weeks (a fortnight) while your course is in session, and unrestricted hours during any scheduled course break, but before you undertake any paid work you need to make sure your visa allows you to work. You can only start working when your student visa already commences.  Find out more on the Department of Home Affairs website.


Paid work

Australia has a wide range of industries and many have part time employment opportunities including:

  • Retail– supermarkets, department and clothing stores.
  • Hospitality– cafes, bars and restaurants.
  • Tourism– hotels and motels.
  • Agricultural– farming and fruit-picking.
  • Sales and telemarketing.
  • Administration or Clerical roles.
  • Tutoring.

If you have existing qualifications and/or professional work experience, you may be able to secure casual or part time work in your field.


Paid or unpaid internships can be a great way to get exposure to the professional, financial and creative industries.


There are many charities and non-government organisations (NGOs) in Australia and they always need volunteers to help out. It can be a great way to meet friends, get some hands on work experience and give back to the community. To find out more about volunteering, start your search at


Your rights

Everyone working in Australia, including international students or those on working holiday visas, has basic rights at work. These rights protect entitlement to:

  • A minimum wage and superannuation.
  • Challenge of unfair dismissal from the job
  • Leave, breaks and rest periods.
  • A healthy and safe work environment.

Most employers in Australia are covered by an ‘award’, which sets minimum wages and conditions for a type of job or industry. To find out more about your work rights visit the Australian Government’s Fair Work Ombudsman‘s website or call them on 13 13 94.

If you’re a temporary resident working in Australia, your employer has to pay super for you if you are eligible.

When you leave Australia, you can claim your super as a departing Australia superannuation payment (DASP) if you meet all the requirements. To find out more about super for temporary residents, visit the Australian Taxation Office  website.

In Australia, employers (your boss) must also do all they can to make sure your job does not hurt you or make you sick. This law is called Work Health and Safety (WHS) or Occupational Health and Safety (OHS).

The law also says your boss must have insurance for you in case you are hurt at work. This is called workers’ compensation. If you are hurt or get sick at work, the insurance may pay for your medical treatment and for your wages until you can work again.

This covers all workers in Australia, even if you are on a temporary visa. Visit Safe Work Australia .

You will also need to get a tax file number to work in Australia. Visit the Australian Taxation Office website to find out more information on getting a tax file number, as well as information about paying taxes in Australia.


Finding Work

There are plenty of ways to find work that suits you including:

  • Newspapers and online job sites.
  • Queen Anne English College – Queen Anne Business College provide job notice-boards on campus and online.
  • Register your details at a recruitment firm; many of them help place people in casual or short-term work.


Living costs in Australia


Knowing the average living costs in Australia is an important part of your financial preparation. For your reference, here are some of the costs associated with living and studying in Australia. (All costs are in Australian dollars and linked to the consumer price index.)


  • Hostels and Guesthouses– $90 to $150 per week
  • Shared Rental– $85 to $215 per week
  • On campus– $90 to $280 per week
  • Homestay– $235 to $325 per week
  • Rental– $165 to $440 per week
  • Boarding schools– $11,000 to $22,000 a year


Other living expenses

  • Groceries and eating out– $80 to $280 per week
  • Gas, electricity– $35 to $140 per week
  • Phone and Internet– $20 to $55 per week
  • Public transport– $15 to $55 per week
  • Car (after purchase)– $150 to $260 per week
  • Entertainment– $80 to $150 per week


Minimum cost of living

The Department of Immigration and Border Protection has financial requirements you must meet in order to receive a student visa for Australia. From 1 July 2016, the 12 month living cost is:

  • student/guardian AUD20,290
  • partner/spouse AUD7,100
  • child AUD3,040

please refer to Department of Home Affairs



Public Transport in Sydney


Sydney has several train lines from the Central Railway Station that head east, north, west and south from the CBD. There are plenty of stations along each line, so check out the timetable to see if any are close to where you live. The train system is a practical choice for getting to the outer suburbs and around the CBD quickly.


To get to many of Sydney’s metropolitan areas, buses are the best option. Buses service almost all parts of Sydney and its outer suburbs, so it’s pretty likely there’ll be a bus stop near you. Buses around Sydney vary in arrival times, usually averaging between 5-15 minutes at popular bus stops and ranging up to an hour in the outer suburbs. If the bus has an L or X somewhere in the number, be careful! Some of these buses are express buses, meaning they won’t stop at certain bus stops. Check with the driver if you’re unsure.


Ferries cover almost every suburb that’s fronted by Sydney Harbour, including Manly, Balmain, Circular Quay and even extend as far as Parramatta. The ferry system is one of the prettiest ways to get around the city, taking advantage of the city’s harbour, port and river system. Tickets are a little more expensive but worth it for the scenery.


The reusable smart card (Opal card) is easy to use. It works a bit like a debit card. You’ll need to load money onto your Opal card at a station or an authorised store such as 7/11. Visit www.opal. for information on where to buy and top up an Opal card.


Places to go in Sydney

24/7 the city centre feels alive. Featuring shopping, parks, small bars, high-end restaurants, and fast food, there’s plenty more than just offices in this area.


Sydney is Australia’s first city, both as the landing spot of the First Fleet (in 1788) and as the first incorporated City Council (in 1842). With the iconic Sydney Opera House and Sydney Harbour Bridge standing proudly over the waterfront, you’ll feel a sense of that history as you explore the streets and laneways within the city centre.

The beautiful Hyde Park, an ideal spot for relaxation and exploration, is the oldest public park in Australia and features numerous outdoor artworks and beautiful gardens to calm your senses.

By day, the Queen Victoria Building is not only a tourist destination because of its architecture and history, but also a good place to shop. Nearby Pitt Street Mall is where you’ll find department stores and clothing chains, as well as local and international fashion boutiques.

For your caffeine fix, George Street must-trys Workshop Espresso and Gumption will give you the boost you need to keep shopping and exploring, making the best espresso to the daytime crowd that the city centre has to offer. Klink Espresso, on Clarence Street, serves great quality coffee from a converted old police station.

To get the holiday vibe, take a wander down to The Rocks and soak in the atmosphere of Sydney. Take a picnic and sit under the Sydney Harbour Bridge, or expand your mind and spend your afternoon wandering through the Museum of Contemporary Art.

If you like small bars, then check out the always busy Baxter Inn, on Clarence Street, or the hidden Stitch Bar (enter through the door with the sewing machine) on York Street. For something a little bit different, grab a jaffle (toasted sandwich) from the eclectic Grandma’s Bar, also on Clarence Street.

Download the Sydney Culture Walks app to learn about Sydney’s fascinating history and the stories behind the city’s most loved public artworks. It’s the ideal companion for discovering the city on foot and will provide you with an excellent insight into the city.


After graduation

After your graduation, you have several options available to you whether you stay in Australia or head home. You may be able to continue your studies in Australia to pursue a higher level qualification or another field of study; you may be eligible to undertake post study work to put your newly gained knowledge to use and gain work experience in Australia, or you may choose to go home to undertake further study or work there.

If you decide you want to undertake further study or work in Australia, you will need to check whether your visa allows this or whether you need to apply for a new visa. You can go to the Department of Home Affairs website to check your visa conditions and find out what your options are.

Wherever your path leads, think about joining an alumni group from your institution. It will help you stay in touch with your classmates and can provide you with great benefits and opportunities.

Preparing for home

If you’re returning home after study, here are some steps to consider:

  • Shipping goods back home.
  • Getting exam results, which aren’t part of your academic qualification, from your institution.
  • Claiming the security bond back from your rental accommodation.
  • Joining relevant alumni organisations.

Many institutions run information sessions or seminars with advice on returning home and adjusting to life outside of Australia. Ask your international student support staff for more information.

We wish you to have the most memorable experience in Australia